Special Education

Picture of Student with a rocket backpack

Child Find

Child Find is a process designed to locate children birth to 21, with a suspected disability to evaluate and identify a need for special education and related services.

The Skykomish School District conducts specific activities for the purposes of locating, evaluating and identifying students ages birth to twenty-one with suspected disabilities and who reside within the district’s boundaries. This includes students attending private schools. Approximately ten to fifteen percent of all children have a disability which hinders their educational development. Early identification of disabilities assists parents, students and schools in the design of appropriate educational services.

If your child is in school and you believe a disability may impair his or her educational performance, please contact the principal at your child’s neighborhood school or the Director of Special Services at 360-677-2623.

If you have a concern about the way your child speaks, hears, sees, moves or interacts with family members and his or her environment, call Skykomish School District to schedule a free Child Find screening.

picture of student with rocket backpack


Learning Assistance Program (LAP) serves eligible students who need academic support for reading, writing and math, or who need readiness skills to learn these core subjects. With special emphasis on reading literacy in the early grades, schools use their state LAP funds to deliver supplemental services that give these students the strong start they need for academic success.

Skykomish School District participates in the LAP program, offering services for our students during the school day.  Our LAP program focusses primarily on grades K-4, providing assistance to those students in higher grades needing reading and math support.

For further information regarding our LAP programs, please contact Dallas Robinson, LAP Director, any time.  During school hours, Mr. Robinson can be reached at 360-677-2623, ext. 211.