Skykomish School District: “Learning Today, Leading Tomorrow! Cultivating Leaders Who Thrive!”
Skykomish began the Leader in Me process in 2018 when we learned about this empowering approach and knew that we wanted to bring this to our students. We saw the value of the process and how it could be used as the foundation for greatness and transformation within our system. The district received a grant to fully implement the process in 2018. In the summer of 2018 all faculty and staff received 2 days of 7 Habits training.
Over the next three years we will continue to cultivate our school-wide leadership program through Leader in Me that will involve on-going coaching, professional development to build and sustain a leadership culture and academic growth, and achievement along with a sustained momentum for years to come.
What is the Leader In Me?
The Leader In Me is a process built on the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People that are proven to increase effectiveness in all aspects of a person’s life. Habits 1-3 deal with developing personal independence, while habits 4-6 develop interdependence. Habit 7 speaks to renewal of body, mind, heart, and soul. The process is unique in that it does not just focus on our students, but our faculty and staff, too.
- Habit 1: Be Proactive: I have a “Can Do” attitude. I choose my actions, attitudes and moods. I don’t blame others. I do the right thing without being asked, even when nobody is looking.
- Habit 2: Begin With the End in Mind: I plan ahead and set goals. I do things that have meaning and make a difference. I am an important part of my classroom. I look for ways to be a good citizen.
- Habit 3: Put First Things First: I spend my time on things that are most important. This means I should say no to things I should not do. I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan. I am organized.
- Habit 4: Think Win-Win: I want everyone to be a success. I don’t have to put others down to get what I want. It makes me happy to see other people happy. I like to do nice things for others. When a problem comes up, I help think of a way to solve it. We can all win!
- Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood: I listen to others’ ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoints. I listen to others without interrupting. I am confident in voicing my ideas.
- Habit 6: Synergize: I get along well with others, even people who are different from me. I work well in groups. I seek out other ideas to solve problems. I know that “two heads are better than one.” I am a better person when I let other people into my life and work.
- Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw: I take care of my body by eating right, exercising, and getting sleep. I spend time with my family and friends. I learn in lots of ways and lots of places.
The process is based on five mindsets, which help guide the actions of our district:
- Empower all students to lead their learning
- Every person has genius
- We must develop the whole person
- Change starts with me
- Everyone can be a leader